WHAT: The Boston Police Department along with several community partners are hosting a summer safety day for local families. Local children will have the opportunity to learn valuable safety skills and important bicycle safety tips.
• Children ages 4-12 years and parents welcome
• Safety Info for Kids and Parents
• Bring your bike and helmet
• Fun Bike Games and Agility Test
• Cool Bike Helmets - Free as supplies last!
• Free raffle for two 20” kids bikes!
WHEN: Saturday June 12, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. - 2 p.m.
WHERE: I.B.E.W. Local 103 Parking Lot, 256 Freeport Street, Dorchester, MA 02122
WHO: Boston Police District C-11, The Boston Society of Vulcans (Safety Town), the MA State Police, the Suffolk, County Sheriff’s Department and Dot Bike
INFO: Call the C-11 Community Service Office at 617-343-4524
DID YOU KNOW: The three common causes of car/bike crashes for kids under 15 years old:
1. Riding out of a driveway without stopping
2. Running stop signs..
3. Turning left without yielding.
Nine things to keep in mind about kids in traffic:
1. Young kids can’t see things out of the corners of their eyes
as well as adults can.
2. Kids often have trouble telling where a sound (like a siren)
is coming from.
3. Kids often lack a sense of danger.
4. Kids are often restless and have trouble waiting for things like
5. Kids have trouble understanding complex chains of events.
6. Kids have trouble judging speed and distance of oncoming cars.
7. Kids tend to focus only on the things that interest them most.
8. Kids often mix fantasy with reality.
9. Kids may believe that grown-ups will look out for them.