The Boston Police Department would like to remind our partners in the retail business community to take certain measures to avoid being victimized.
your security systems. Remember that the number and placement of cameras can
sure that your cameras and sensors are working.
expensive merchandise away from the main entrance.
valuables in a safe and locked place
- Ensure that you have a sufficient number of employees to cover the retail areas of your business if you do not employee security staff.
- Assign an employee toward the front of your store in order to deter a thief from running into and out of the store with stolen merchandise.
- Ask customers to alert your staff to suspicious activity.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately in the event of a robbery or break-in, or if you observe someone acting suspiciously or who you recognize from prior incidents.
- Inform your fellow merchants of suspicious or unlawful activity to enhance awareness of repeat offenders.
We understand that some of these suggestions might conflict with your marketing needs. We would be happy to visit your business and provide you with an assessment that balances those needs with ones pertaining to security. Contact the Community Service Office of your nearest BPD precinct for more information.