One Less Gun: Two Illegal Firearms Recovered and One Arrested in Two Incidents in Dorchester

Members of the Boston Police Youth Violence Strike Force (YVSF) took two illegal firearms off the streets of Dorchester within a two-hour period during two separate incidents on Friday, May 23, 2014. The facts and circumstances of the incidents are as follows:

Incident #1: At about 6:41 PM on Friday, May 23, 2014, members of the YVSF received information from a confidential, reliable source that a known street gang associate wearing a green hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and black boots was in possession of a black firearm in the area of Adams & Lyon Streets in District C-11 (Dorchester). Officers observed this individual in the area, and after further surveillance of his behavior, conducted a stop of the individual. In light of the information provided to the officers, they conducted a pat frisk of the individual for their safety. The frisk revealed a loaded black Hi Point .45 caliber firearm in the individual’s waistband. Officers recovered the firearm, and when the suspect could not produce a License to Carry, officers placed him in custody.

Nineteen-year-old Elizandro G. Maia of Dorchester was arrested and charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm and Unlawful Possession of Ammunition.

Incident #2: At about 8:36 PM on Friday, May 23, 2014, while performing a warrant service in the area of 12 Inwood Street in District C-11 (Dorchester), members of the YVSF officers were approached by an unknown witness who reported that he observed a male run down the street and hide an object near a parked brown car, then flee the area. Officers canvassed the area and discovered a loaded silver Tauras 38 Special revolver with a brown handle near a tire of a parked brown Cadillac. Another unknown witness gave the officers a description of the suspect and his vehicle which was parked nearby. Officers spoke with the occupants of the vehicle, recorded their information, and upon further investigation, all occupants were released. The firearm was recovered and processed by detectives.