The Boston Police Department would like to welcome incoming college students to the City of Boston. To help ensure your safety while living in a metropolitan area, we would like to offer the following tips:
- Tour the campus during the day to familiarize yourself with the facilities and the locations of emergency phones.
- Tell a friend or roommate where you’re going before venturing out.
- Avoid leaving your electronic, school bag or other belongings unattended.
- Report suspicious people or vehicles to the police.
- Avoid walking alone especially at night & try to have someone with you.
- Travel along well-lit paths rather than taking shortcuts through side streets and alleyways.
- Be alert of your surroundings. Remove your headphones and pocket your phone.
- Keep your keys out when walking to your vehicle, dorm or apartment.
- Lock all doors and windows when you’re sleeping or away from your room.
- Never invite strangers into your apartment or residence hall.
- Document the serial numbers on your electronics. Knowing these numbers could make the items easier to locate if stolen.
- Only drink if you’re of legal age, and do so responsibly. Pour your own beverages, keep track of your glass and arrange for a designated driver or taxi to take you home.
For more safety tips, see bpdnews.com/tips/