The Boston Gun Buyback is Back: Thanks to the formal relaunch of the Boston Gun Buyback Program, you can turn in ‘Your Piece for Peace’ and receive a $200.00 Visa® gift card. The program - which started Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - will run Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00am to 4:00pm at Boston Police Department District Stations throughout the city. If you do not wish to deliver the firearm to one of our neighborhood stations and would like to arrange for a private exchange, please call any one our district stations between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm to arrange a pick up.
The following procedure MUST be followed in order to receive amnesty for possession of a gun and to receive a gift certificate. If the protocol is followed, the person dropping off the firearm will not be prosecuted for unlawful possession of that specific firearm. Amnesty - however - will not be promised or given for any other crime committed with that firearm or for any other crime committed while in possession of that firearm.
1. Gun must be delivered unloaded.
2. Gun must be put in a clear plastic bag, and put into another container (gym bag, backpack etc.).
3. If depositing ammunition in addition to a gun, ammunition must be delivered in a separate bag.
4. If transporting the gun by car, gun must be transported in the trunk of the vehicle.
5. After the gun is screened by officers, and determined to be a working firearm, a gift card will be given.
6. Rifles and Shotguns will be accepted, however, no incentive will be issued or provided.
Last year, the program enabled BPD officers to take over 400 firearms off the streets of Boston. And, this year, Commissioner Evans would love to see similar participation. Said the Commissioner: “If we get one gun off the street, this program’s effective. If a concerned parent uses this program to turn in a gun and one less gun leads to one less homicide or one less shooting or one less crime, then the program's a success."