The annual Project Bread Walk for Hunger, as well as the 1st Annual Walk for Hunger 5 K, will take place in the City of Boston on Sunday, May 1, 2016. Street closures and parking restrictions will be in place to accommodate the event and those attending are encouraged not to drive their personal vehicles. Information on Hubway, the regional bike-share service, may be found at www.theHubway.com and information on the MBTA may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises rider to purchase a round-trip rather than a one-way ticket.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic to accommodate these events:
- Charles Street, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street, from approximately 6 AM to 10
- Commonwealth Avenue, from Arlington Street to Massachusetts, from approximately 6:45 AM to 10 AM
The Walk for Hunger will begin at 6 AM on Charles Street near the Boston Common. An estimated 30,000 people expected to participate and the event is anticipated to be completed by 4:00 PM. Walkers will gather on the Boston Common at Charles Street and proceed along the following route: Charles Street, left onto Beacon Street, left onto Arlington Street, right onto Commonwealth Avenue outbound, under Massachusetts Avenue, sharp right onto Commonwealth Avenue outbound in the opposite direction of vehicular traffic flow, left onto Massachusetts Avenue, crossing the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge into the City of Cambridge, left onto Memorial Drive, westerly on the river path, to the Eliot Bridge, crossing the bridge, left onto the river path heading easterly to the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge, up the ramp taking a right onto Massachusetts Avenue, left onto Commonwealth Avenue, to the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, through the Public Garden, finishing on the Boston Common.
The Walk for Hunger 5K Road Race will begin at 7 AM on Charles Street. An estimated 3,000 runners will turn left onto Beacon Street, left onto Arlington Street, right onto Commonwealth Avenue westbound, under Massachusetts Avenue, left onto Charlesgate West, left onto Commonwealth Avenue eastbound, under Massachusetts Avenue , left onto Arlington Street, right onto Beacon Street, right onto Charles Street, to the finish line.
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Saturday and Sunday” temporary parking restrictions will be in place as follows:
- Charles Street, both sides, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Beacon Street, Boston Common side, from Charles Street to opposite Walnut Street
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Sunday” temporary parking restrictions will be in place as follows:
- Tremont Street, Boston Common side, from Park Street to Boylston Street
- Beacon Street, both sides, from Charles Street to Arlington Street
- Beacon Street, outbound, from Commonwealth Avenue (Kenmore Square) to Park Drive (Audubon Circle)
- Arlington Street, Public Garden side, from Beacon Street to Commonwealth Avenue.