BPD Traffic Advisory for Sunday, May 7, 2017: Sunday will be a busy day in the City of Boston with several events including the Project Bread Walk For Hunger & 5K Road Race and the Polish Constitution Day Parade, taking place in the city. Consequently, in an effort to accommodate the events and those attending, traffic and parking availability will be impacted. As such, those attending these events are encouraged to leave their cars at home in place of public transportation. Information on Hubway, the regional bike-share service, may be found at www.theHubway.com while information on the MBTA may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, MBTA officials advise riders to purchase round-trip fares rather than just a one-way ticket.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6:00AM to 11:00AM to accommodate the Walk for Hunger and 5K Road Race:
- Charles Street from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Commonwealth Ave from Arlington Street to Massachusetts Ave
Walk for Hunger will begin at 6:00AM on Charles Street near the Boston Common. An estimated 40,000 people are expected to participate and the event is anticipated to be completed by 8:00PM. The route is as follows: Start at Boston Common: Beacon Street, left onto Arlington Street, right onto Commonwealth Avenue, under Massachusetts Avenue, through Kenmore Square, continuing on Beacon Street into the Town of Brookline, re-enter the City of Boston on Beacon Street at Ary Road in Brighton, continuing on Beacon Street into the City of Newton.
Walk for Hunger 5K will begin at 7:30AM on Charles Street and is expected to be over by 8:00AM. An estimated 3,000 runners will turn right onto Boylston Street, right onto Arlington Street, left onto Commonwealth Avenue westbound, under Massachusetts Avenue, left onto Charlesgate West, left onto Commonwealth Avenue eastbound, under Massachusetts Avenue, right onto Arlington Street, left onto Boylston Street, left onto Charles Street to the finish line.
Tow Zone/No Stopping Sunday Temporary Parking Restrictions for the Walk for Hunger will be in place as follows:
- Charles Street, both sides, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Beacon Street, outbound side, from Commonwealth Avenue (Kenmore Square) to Park Drive (Audubon Circle)
- Beacon Street, Public Garden side, from Charles Street to Arlington Street
- Arlington Street, Public Garden side, Beacon Street to Boylston Street
- Beacon Street, Brighton, reservoir side, from Chestnut Hill Avenue west until existing regualations
- Cassidy Playground Parking Area, both sides, between Beacon Street and Chestnut Hill Avenue, at all meters.
- Beacon Street, Boston Common side, from Charles Street to opposite Walnut Street
Polish Constitution Day Parade will take place on Sunday, May 7, with 200-300 participants. The parade will begin at 12:15 PM at Our Lady of Czestochowa Church, 655 Dorchester Avenue, South Boston, proceed on Dorchester Avenue, turn left onto Fr. Songin Way, left onto Boston Street, ending at Al Zwiercan Way.
Tow Zone/No Parking Restrictions for the Polish Constitution Parade will take effect Sunday 11:00AM to 8:00PM in the following areas:
- Al Zwiercan Way (Power Street), both sides, from Boston Street to the end of the street
- Boston Street, both sides, from Rawson Street heading north to the start of the bridge for the I-93 overpass.