At about 8:00 PM on Thursday, February 1, 2018, officers and detectives from District A-1 (Downtown) executed an arrest warrant for the suspect in an unarmed burglary that took place on August 20, 2017 in the area of Bunker Hill and Polk Streets in Charlestown. The warrant was issued out of Charlestown District Court on February 1, 2018 for the suspect, whom after a thorough investigation, detectives identified as 23-year-old Abas Bilal of Charlestown.
During the original incident, the female victim told police that she returned home to find the suspect, Bilal, in her residence. Bilal fled the scene on foot, and the victim later discovered that her wallet was missing and unauthorized charges had been placed on her credit cards.
Due to the similar suspect description and modus operandi, detectives are investigating whether Bilal is responsible for breaking and entering incidents and an indecent assault that took place on 1/7/18 in the area of Carney Court, on 1/16/18 in the area of Old Iron Sides Way, and on 1/21/18 in the area of Decatur Street. Detectives will seek the appropriate charges against Bilal for those incidents.
Said Commissioner Evans, "This arrest comes as a result of an ongoing and meticulous investigation. My detectives and prosecutors from the District Attorney's office have been working very hard on these cases and I commend their efforts in identifying and arresting this dangerous individual. Charlestown is a safer place today with this suspect under arrest."
Bilal will be arraigned in Charlestown District Court today on Friday, February 2, 2018.