At approximately 3:00pm, on Thursday, January 21, 2010, officers from Area C-11 (Dorchester) were on patrol in the area of Clarkson and Hamilton Streets when their attention was drawn to a red motor vehicle which was moving at what the officers estimated to be a rate of speed greater than that considered reasonable and proper for the time of day and neighborhood in which the car was traveling. As officers attempted to look inside the car, they were unable to do so due to the car’s heavily tinted windows. As a result of the car’s rate of speed and tinted windows, officers activated their emergency equipment (lights & sirens) in an effort to stop the car. With the car stopped in the area of Stanwood Street and Columbia Road, officers approached the car, however, as they did, the operator of the car accelerated away from the scene. While the car was leaving the scene, officers watched as the operator hung one of his legs outside the car door. Then, the car stopped and the operator exited the car and began to flee the scene on foot.

As officers were running behind the suspect, the suspect clutched at his waist area in such a way as to suggest he was in possession of a firearm. Officers lost sight of the suspect for a short time as the suspect disappeared behind a row of hedges. Upon relocating the suspect, officers noted that the suspect was no longer running. With the suspect in custody, officers retraced the steps made during the course of the foot chase. While retracing the steps of the suspect, with help from a Boston Police K-9 officer and his dog, officers were able to observe, locate and take possession of a loaded black firearm. During the booking process, the suspect apologized for fleeing and hoped that no one had been injured as a result of his actions.

Officers arrested Daniel Royal, 28, of Boston and charged him with the Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Carrying a Loaded Firearm on a Public Way and Refusal to Submit to a Police Officer.