At about 1:56am, on Saturday, October 9, 2010, officers from Area D-4 (South End) were in the area of 7 Melnea Cass Blvd helping and assisting an officer performing a paid detail. The detail officer was monitoring a large crowd leaving or exiting a night club in the area. While on scene, officers were approached by several individuals who stated that an altercation was taking place in a nearby parking garage. Witnesses further stated that they heard a gunshot and provided a description of the suspect and the suspect’s motor vehicle.

As officers approached the parking garage, officers observed a motor vehicle that looked like the suspect’s motor vehicle exiting the garage, travelling along North Hampton Street. When officers attempted to stop the car, the operator refused and accelerated in an effort to flee the scene. However, the suspect’s vehicle was slowed to a stop, as a result of traffic, in the area of the North Hampton and Melnea Cass Blvd.

Given the potential involvement of a firearm, officers, with guns drawn, approached the motor vehicle a second time in an effort to stop the car. While assessing the situation, officers noted several patrons crossing the street in front of the car. Upon engaging the vehicle, officers instructed and ordered all four occupants, several different times, to exit the car. Despite the lawful commands that were given, the passengers remained in the car and the operator, again refusing to listen to the officer’s lawful instructions, gunned the engine and took off.

In response to the threat, an officer discharged his department-issued firearm. Nevertheless, the suspect fled the area, barely missing several pedestrians who were forced to jump out of the way of the fleeing vehicle. Officers watched as the suspect’s motor vehicle struck a parked car and, then, took a right onto Melnea Cass Blvd. 

A short time down the road, the suspect struck a second motor vehicle. Upon striking the second car, the suspect bailed out of his car and attempted to flee the area on foot. A search of the area enabled officers to locate and apprehend the suspect.

Officers arrested Johnell Gilmore, 35, of Boston and charged him with Assault & Battery by Means of a Dangerous Weapon (Motor Vehicle), Failure to Stop for a Police Officer, Driving to Endanger and Leaving the Scene of an Accident after Causing Property Damage.