OUI Driver Admits Wrong Doing

This morning around 2:05AM, officers from District D-4 (South End) were on patrol on Huntington Ave. when they observed a car traveling on Huntington Ave. toward Ring Rd. with severe damage to its front end with the right fender peeled back.  Officers, concerned that the car had just been involved in an accident and/or that someone may have been hurt as a result of an accident, activated their lights to further investigate.

At the intersection of Huntington Ave. and Ring Road, officers approached the operator and asked him if he had been involved in an accident and the operator stated, “I’m drink! I was at Mantra and I hit a car about half a mile back.”  Officers observed the operator to have slurred speech, glassy eyes and the odor of alcohol on his breath.  Officers then inquired of the operator if he or his passenger s had been hurt in the accident and they replied that they had not. Officers then asked the suspect operator if he knew where he had hit the car and he responded it was about half a mile back. Officers then asked the suspect for his license and registration and an exact location for the accident. The suspect fumbled around looking for the requested items and as to the exact location of the accident, the suspect again stated to officers, “I was drunk, I am guilty.”

Officers, fearing that someone could have been hurt in the accident, notified Operations of their location and what they had been told by the suspect. Officers then learned that someone had called 911 about hearing what they thought was the sound of an accident near the intersection of Arlington St. and St. James Avenue.  Officers responded there and observed a parked car with severe rear end damage that been pushed into another vehicle which sustained minor rear end damage.

Officers then returned to the suspect’s location and informed him of their discovery at which point the suspect stated, “I’m guilty, I had four of five drinks of liquor, not beers.”

The suspect was then given several sobriety tests which he failed.  After failing the sobriety tests, the suspect, Tarek Khatib, 26 of Waltham was arrested and charged with Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol and Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Property Damage.