Armed Suspect Arrested and Gun Recovered after Foot Pursuit

Yesterday morning around 10:55AM, officers from the Youth Violence Strike Force/Gang Unit arrested suspect, Anthony Williams, 28 of Boston and charged him with Failure to Stop for Police Officers and a host of other motor vehicle infractions. His passenger, Dennis Q. Parham, 26 of Dorchester was also arrested and charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Carrying a Loaded Firearm, Unlawful Possession of a large Capacity Weapon and Large Capacity Feeding Device. Officers from the gang Unit were on patrol in the area of Tremont St. when they observed a car occupied by both suspects turning onto Tremont Street from Ruggles Street. As the suspects were turning, the operator made eye contact with one of the officers and immediately shielded his face. This reaction by the operator drew the attention of officers and so they checked the registration of the car and learned that the car’s inspection sticker was invalid. Officers followed the car while they further checked the car and observed it fail to stop for a stop sign, and then again almost strike a parked stopped at the same intersection.

Officers at that time activated lights and sirens to conduct a traffic stop at which the suspect car refused to stop and continued. Officers followed the car and as they did so, noticed that the passenger door opened as the car was in motion. On Warwick St. the passenger of the car jumped out of the car and took off running while holding his waist. Officers pursued the suspect while others remained with the operator of the car. As officers pursued the fleeing suspect, they observed him stop briefly near the intersection of Hammond and Warwick Streets. Officers continued to chase the suspect and caught him in front of 18 Ditmus Court where he was detained pending further investigation. Officers then retraced the path the suspect had taken during the foot-chase and in front of 96 Hammond encountered a witness who directed officers to a sewer drain. Officers, at the drain, recovered a loaded firearm wedged in the drain hole of the sewer. This is the same location that officers had observed the suspect briefly stop while fleeing from officers. The suspect was then placed under arrest and charged with the above offenses.

Suspect Parham was additionally charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Second and Subsequent Offense after further investigation.