One Less Gun: Members of the Youth Violence Strike Force Recover Two Firearms and Arrest Three Suspects After a Motor Vehicle and Foot Pursuit in Dorchester

(click photo to see additional images)

At about 4:00 PM on Thursday, January 22, 2015 members of the Youth Violence Strike Force (YVSF), along with members of the Boston Police Fugitive unit, recovered two loaded guns and several rounds of ammunition during a violent confrontation with three individuals in the area of 930 Washington Street, Dorchester.

Officers were in the area of Morton Street conducting surveillance in search of a suspect known to have outstanding warrants issued for firearm offenses. Officers observed two individuals, one of whom matched the appearance of the suspect they were seeking, exit a residence on Woodruff Way and enter a black Ford Explorer. Officers continued their surveillance of the vehicle as it traveled on Gallivan Blvd crossing Washington Street and then Dorchester Avenue. A determination was made to stop the vehicle in the area of Gallivan Blvd and Granite Avenue. The vehicle initially stopped in the McDonald's parking lot at the corner of Gallivan Blvd and Granite Avenue. However, when officers activated their emergency lights and siren and began to exit their vehicles, the suspects sped from the parking lot nearly striking the officers, who were forced to jump out of the path of the suspects’ vehicle. Officers pursued the vehicle as it swerved and maneuvered with no regard for the safety and well-being of those in traffic and, subsequently, knocked over a traffic signal pole at the intersection of Gallivan Blvd and Adams Street. The vehicle finally came to a stop in the middle of the street in front of 930 Washington Street and all three occupants jumped from the vehicle and fled on foot.

The operator of the vehicle, later identified as Daniel Murphy-Wilkins, ran on Washington Street to Codman Hill Avenue with officers in foot pursuit yelling, "Boston Police!!! Stop!!!” During this foot pursuit, suspect Murphy-Wilkins turned towards the officers with a firearm in his hand and pointed it directly at the officers. Officers caught up with Murphy-Wilkins and a violent struggle ensued ending with the suspect in custody and his firearm recovered. A loaded silver colored Smith & Wesson .38 was taken from the suspect. 

Officers were able to apprehend two additional suspects Tony Evans, 24, of Mattapan and Tony Harris, 25, of Everett, whom had fled the vehicle. Evans was positively identified as their initial suspect who they had under surveillance.  After retracing the route of the foot pursuit of the suspects, a second firearm described as a Jimenez Arms 9MM with a large capacity magazine attached was also recovered.

Suspect #1: Daniel Murphy-Wilkins, 30 of Roxbury was charged with: Refusal to Submit, Assault by Means of a Dangerous Weapon to wit: Motor Vehicle, Malicious Destruction of Property -three counts, Assault by means of a Dangerous Weapon to wit: Handgun , Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Carrying Loaded Firearm on a Public Way, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition and Resisting Arrest.    

Suspect #2: Tony Harris was charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Carrying a Loaded Firearm on a Public Way, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Possession of a Large Capacity Feeding Device and Armed Career Criminal Level 3

Suspect #3: Tony Evans was charged with Resisting Arrest, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Possession of a Large Capacity Feeding Device and Armed Career Criminal Level 3.

All three suspects were expected in Dorchester District Court today. 

Said Commissioner William Evans, “My officers continue to take illegal guns out of our neighborhoods under what we can see are often tremendously violent and aggressive circumstances.  They continue to demonstrate enormous restraint when faced with situations where lethal force would be justified.”